Zeppelin in multi user environment

IT CTO
Hi,
we are in the process of testing Zeppelin as our investigation platform
inside the organization.
One of the first question raised was with regard to multi user environment
- currently, as I see it, all users run against the same zeppelin server
and have access and availability to all notebooks.

What are other people do with regard to that?
Does the road-map have a multi-tenant solution for zeppelin? security?

Eran

Re: Zeppelin in multi user environment

Ophir Cohen
Actually it a bit more than that:
Even the variables shared across notebooks!

I think that NFLabs has a commercial version that supports groups and users.
In my organisation we are looking on few solutions for that.
One of them is using different instances - maybe even on the same machine.
I'm going to test it soon - but you are right, currently it's a problem.

BTW
Running different Zeppelin instances isn't such a bad idea as you get the
efficiency from the yarn resource manager that can be the same cluster
(assuming you using yarn)>

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 10:00 AM, IT CTO <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Hi,
> we are in the process of testing Zeppelin as our investigation platform
> inside the organization.
> One of the first question raised was with regard to multi user environment
> - currently, as I see it, all users run against the same zeppelin server
> and have access and availability to all notebooks.
>
> What are other people do with regard to that?
> Does the road-map have a multi-tenant solution for zeppelin? security?
>
> Eran

Re: Zeppelin in multi user environment

IT CTO
Thanks Ophir!
That means that I have to wrap zeppelin with my own site which launch a
zeppelin server on behalf of every requesting user. this is an option but I
want avoiding it.
pls, share wherever you come across during this journey
Eran

On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 12:09 PM Ophir Cohen <[hidden email]> wrote:

> Actually it a bit more than that:
> Even the variables shared across notebooks!
>
> I think that NFLabs has a commercial version that supports groups and
> users.
> In my organisation we are looking on few solutions for that.
> One of them is using different instances - maybe even on the same machine.
> I'm going to test it soon - but you are right, currently it's a problem.
>
> BTW
> Running different Zeppelin instances isn't such a bad idea as you get the
> efficiency from the yarn resource manager that can be the same cluster
> (assuming you using yarn)>
>
> On Sun, Jun 28, 2015 at 10:00 AM, IT CTO <[hidden email]> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>> we are in the process of testing Zeppelin as our investigation platform
>> inside the organization.
>> One of the first question raised was with regard to multi user
>> environment - currently, as I see it, all users run against the same
>> zeppelin server and have access and availability to all notebooks.
>>
>> What are other people do with regard to that?
>> Does the road-map have a multi-tenant solution for zeppelin? security?
>>
>> Eran

Re: Zeppelin in multi user environment

Ophir Cohen
I'll do so.
Actually I didn't mean for every user but for every customer (that can have
many end-users in my business), I can see advantage of sharing the same
environment for the same group/department but then again, it depends on
your business and your needs...
I'll keep everybody updated.